Sunday 22 October 2023

5/3/1 Boring But Big - 3 months challenge - week 1

I had a small break from StrongLifts 5x5, but now that my ankle's better, I want to try something different. So I am giving the classic Boring But Big 3 month challenge by Jim Wendler a shot. The programming is simple, you workout 4x a week, in an upper/lower/upper/lower split. Each day is one strong (5/3/1) lift, and a hypertrophy ("big") lift, followed with assistance work.

My starting numbers aren't that great, but here they are:

 

I used the excellent Black Iron Beast 5/3/1 calculator for generating my program -- it is probably the best workout calculator I've ever seen.

Anyhow, here's how the first week went:

  • I completed all my reps + 2 "joker sets", and struggled the most with overhead press.
  • Working out upper/lower splits over 4x a week leaves me with much more energy after the workout compared to brutal whole body workouts 3x a week with StrongLifts. I was able to finish all workout sessions in just about an hour.
  • I am sore. The hypertrophy sets look light, but the 5x10 volume will get you. Also the AMRAP set, if done truly to failure or close to it, leaves its mark, especially with squats and deadlifts.
  • I haven't been eating that big, but growing my intake gradually. This is always tricky for me: In the past, I've let my work schedule get the best of me and I've relied on crappy calories (mostly those yummy high calorie "protein" bars). This time, I'm trying to eat a lot, but a lot of good stuff. Eggs, whey protein, meat, oatmeal, veggies, nuts and all that good stuff. 
  • I do boxing training 2x a week on my rest days. I feel this is a great way to move the whole body and get a good cardio workout. But it also fatigues the shoulder muscles (try just a basic 1-2 combo non-stop for a min). I am not too worried, but this might be a factor for slow progress on the upper body lifts. We will see.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome, daughter

  We had our first baby today. One month ahead of schedule. In the last 24h, My wife woke me up at about 03:00 and said she was stressed bec...