Sunday 8 October 2023

Injured an ankle, but gotta lift?

 I injured my ankle. I cannot trace it back to an event, it could've been a run, or a stretch gone too far. Anyway, ankles heal slow, and are hard to really rest if you don't walk around with crutches. And I was going strong on my Stronglifts 5x5 program until this happened. I won't be able to squat heavy for a few weeks, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't lift. I'll instead be following this modified program.

Main goals: Keep or increase upper body strength, and work leg muscles without exacerbating the injury.

The key idea is to lift 3 days a week, training the full body on each day with primarily compound movements. To work the lower body without too much strain on the ankle, I'll incorporate safer isolation movements. I'll cycle these two workouts every alternate day (work out on Mon-Wed-Fri and take the weekend off).

Workout A:

  • Overhead press (heavy, seated + back-supported, if easier on the ankle) - 5x5-8
  • Pull-ups - 3x10
  • Barbell row (heavy) - 5x8-12 
  • Bench press (light) 3x10
  • Romanian deadlifts - 4x12-15
  • Leg extensions - 4x12

 Workout B:

  • Bench press (heavy) - 5x5-8
  • Barbell row (heavy) - 5x8-12
  • Overhead press (light) - 3x10
  • Pull-ups - 3x10
  • Romanian deadlifts - 4x12-15
  • Leg extensions - 4x12

 For the heavier strength sets, I'll target 70-80% 1RM, while for the lighter sets, the weights should be just heavy to "leave one rep in the tank before failure".

On rest days, I am going to try shadow boxing or heavy bag workouts, and maybe swimming if it does not put too much strain on the ankle (fins are out of question).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome, daughter

  We had our first baby today. One month ahead of schedule. In the last 24h, My wife woke me up at about 03:00 and said she was stressed bec...